Have you been in for your quarterly “Botox” treatment only to be asked, “Would you like to use Botox or Dysport?” Dysport??? …. What is this and how is it like Botox, or different from Botox? Let me try to simplify this for you all:
Like Kleenex and Band-Aid, Botox is a brand name that’s become indistinguishable from the product.
Here is how Botox and Dysport are the same:
- They are both neurotoxins derived from the botulinum toxin A.
- They are both used to slow or temporarily stop the movement of muscle contractions. This results in a smoothing of the surface skin… AKA: No wrinkles, Yay!
- They are both measured in “units”
- The results for both, last for approximately 3 months.
- We use them for both cosmetically and clinically.
They are manufactured by two different companies.
Here’s how Botox and Dysport differ:
- The results for Dysport have shown to appear within 24 to 48 hours. Botox is 5 to 7 days
- They are “dosed” differently… We use 2 times more Dysport than Botox. (Don’t let that scare you, Dysport is 2 times less expensive than Botox per unit)
- Dysport can “spread” more than Botox, which if injected incorrectly, can affect unwanted muscles.
Bottom line: Botox and Dysport are like apples and oranges, they are both fruits but taste different.
It’s nice to have choices because let’s face it, sometimes you just need a choice!
And guess what…There are more neurotoxins on their way for FDA approval, which means more fruits for you and I to choose from!!
Health, Happiness, and Beauty,